Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A little Fitness Motivation


So lately I have lacked motivation for working out, (scroll on down for a little biblical motovation) mostly because every time I do I have been having back problems. Plus I really ... really ... really just don't like running! I do enjoy exercise videos, but often my back pain will be just too much afterwards it's not worth it. Well fear not, joint-pain people! There is a solution!


SWIMMING!


We have a pool here at school, but I have never used it until this semester. I began just swimming laps around the pool, but this became boring after a while and I decided I wanted to do some aquatic work outs that were a little more interesting then swimming back-and-forth.
One of the best things I have found has been simple treading water-type of exercises. After talking with many people, one treading water exercise I do is simply treading water without using my arms. This give my legs QUITE the work out! Another treading water exercise I have found is making small circles with your arms, lifting one leg up about hip level and the other leg is left pointed straight down. This is great for strengthening my arms, without the back-straining of push-ups

Another exercise I do is on the wall. One exercise I do is propping shoulders and arms up on the wall, straightening my legs with one lower than the other. I do a "scissor" move (like in pilates) through the water, which creates a great resistance. I do about 50 reps, then relax, and do it again. Another wall exercise is great ab work. you keep your legs together, and in a continuous motion bring your knees into your chest, push them out straight in front of you, swing them left, swing them right, and bring them back in. I do about 10 reps of this, and I really start to feel it. This is a good alternative for crunches that doesn't cause back pain.
These are just a couple of things I do along with swimming down and back using the different swim strokes we all learned in swim lessons.

I found many of these excercises from http://www.livestrong.com/article/110713-swimming-exercises-flatten-belly/#ixzz2LUxid4T1, and this web site was SUPER helpful to me!I am no where close to an expert, but I'm just your average joe, trying to be fit even with back pain! Hope this is a little bit of an encouragement to those who struggle with any kind of joint pain! Look up some exercises yourself, ask your doctor of chiropractor for specific ideas that might help you even more personally!

Here comes a little biblical fitness motivation... 

Keep on striving to take care of your body! Remember we are "honoring God" with our bodies (1 Corinthians 6:20) and we should strive to take care of ourselves so that we can be able to go do God's kingdom work, which is what we're called to do!

Along with this, remember, above all else "physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8Keep striving to be the best you can be! 

Don't let the devil discourage you! God made you to be an active being so that we can ultimately serve and glorify Him!


And I just love this little fitness saying... 

Motivational Fitness Quotes

So go ahead! Shut down this computer and get out there and move! - Liv



No comments:

Post a Comment